A brand new tournament is going to start its inaugural season this year just before CPL which is going to be played in T10 format. The tournament is named “THE 6IXTY”.
The organizers are hoping that this tournament will be a quarterly event and can take place in different regions of Caribbean Island. The first season of this tournament will be played in St Kitts from 24th to 28th August immediately before the 10th season of CPL.
There will be six men’s teams and three women’s and it would be played in T10 format. The other rules are as follows :
- Each batting team will get six wickets instead of ten.
- Batting teams can unlock a floating third powerplay over by hitting two sixes in the initial two powerplays.
- Teams will have to bowl consecutive five overs from one end instead of changing after each over.
- If teams fail to bowl their 10 overs in the scheduled 45 minutes then that team has to bowl the last over with one extra fielder inside the circle.
- Fans will get a special facility as they will be able to vote for a ‘mystery free hit’ via an app or website.
The CPL CEO has said to ESPN Cricinfo that the playing conditions will add a layer of strategic intrigue. He also told about the purpose of the tournament as he said that the new tournament will increase excitement among the viewers. The tournament will be done in partnership with the Cricket West Indies board.
The main attraction of the tournament is its’s brand ambassador the Universe Boss Chris Gayle. CEO Russel expects this tournament as a scouting opportunity as over 10 players will play in this tournament who doesn’t play in CPL. So juniors will get chances to perform at the highest level. He also expects the short duration of the tournament will attract the overseas players for this tournament as they feel uneasy spending several weeks in any tournament. Russel also added that after a few times they plan to globalize the tournament and take it to Vegas which is their dream.